About Me

My photo
I was born and brought up in Kota Bahru,Kel,Malaysia From a very young age I was very interested in cooking. My sisters were all married by the time I was ten it fell on me to help my mother to do the household chores. Slowly I started cooking. After doing our household chores I go and help our neighbour Mok Wan who happened to be a kuih seller, helping her with the task of grinding rice, beating eggs, peeling onions and packing the kuihs usually fell on me for just 20 cents. Mok Wan was very good in making all those traditional Kelantanese kuih whicn are known for their variety and distinct taste. It was she who give me the best lessons in Malay culinary arts. It have been years since she passed away but her art of making kuih is still with me. It was my mother who gave me the lessons in Indian culinary arts, I helped her cook, learning all the time without realising it. Every time when I cook for my friends, the first thing they ask me is "Did you learn cooking?" Far from protesting vehemently that I was self-taught, I must admit I that I gained my knowledge of cooking partly from my family, partly from helping people who are masters of their arts and partly from cookery books.

About the cuisine

Our food is a delicious blend of flavours coming from the Malays,Chinese,India and indigenous communities living in Malaysia

Thursday, December 22, 2011

CHECKERBOARD COOKIES



CHECKERBOARD COOKIES

300gm butter,at room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
120gm icing sugar,sifted
400gm plain flour,sifted
30gm cocoa powder,sifted
Egg wash
1 egg white,beaten

1. Mix butter,vanilla,sugar and flour with electric beater or dough hook on low to medium speed until mixture forms a smooth dough. Divide dough into two portions. Mix cocoa powder into one haft. Chill dough until it firm enough to work with. Roll out plain and chocolate dough into squares of equal size,to 1cm thickness. Cut each sheet into 4cm-wide strips.
2. Brush 2 chocolate strips with egg wash and place 2 plain dough strips on the top. Brush the top of 1 strip with egg wash and stack the other strip on top s that you get a block of alternating coloured layers. Brush 2 plain dough strips with eggwash and place 2 chocolate dough strips on top. Brush the top of 1 strip with egg wash and stack the other strip on top so that you get a block of alternating coloured layers.
3. Cut each block lengthwise into strips of 1cm thickness,If dough is too soft,chill before working. Stack the strips to form a 4x4 checkerboard pattern,brushing with egg wash to bind between layers. Cut crosswise into 6mm-thick pieces and place on sheet pans lined with baking paper. Bake at 180c until gloden brown for 15 mints or at 160c for 20 mints.

2 comments: