310 gm flour
2 tbsp ghee
¼ tsp turmeric powder
12 tsp salt
3-4 tbsp oil
For the filling:
½ cup kadalai paruppu, soaked for 3-4 hours
120 gm sugar
1/3 cup grated coconut
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp ghee
1 tsp cardamom powder
Banana leaves, cut into round shape 12cm. about 18 pieces. And grease with oil.
To make the pastry:
1. In a mixing bowl add the flour, salt, turmeric powder and ghee .
2. Add little water at a time and knead into a soft dough ( like roti chanai dough.
3. Shape into a round ball and put in the middle of the bowl and pour the oil over it. Cover and leave it for 2 hour.
4. After 2 hours the dough will be soft and oily that is how the dough should be. Divide the dough into 18 balls 25gm each. Keep aside.
To make the filling:
1. Boil the soaked dal with 11/2 cup water till the dal is cook. Cool
2. Pour the cooked dal, grated coconut, sugar and salt into a blender. Add some water if needed to run the blende.
3. Blend into a smooth paste. Pour the paste into a non-stick pan. And add in the ghee and cardamom powder cooked over a low heat till it turn into thick paste ( the paste must be a bit soft not hard)
4. Cool the paste and divide into 18 balls 25gm balls
To cook the poli
1. Take one ball of the dough and flatten it. Put in the filling and seal it.
2. Put it on the middle of the banana leave and slowly press it till it covers the whole leave.
3. Heat a iron griddle over a low heat. When the griddle is hot rub with some ghee. Take one poli and put on to the griddle with the leave side up ward. Let it cook a bit the remove the leaves and turn the poli and cook till a bit light brown. Don’t over cook or your poli will turn hard. Remove from the heat and put poli on the banana leaves again. Serve with tea or coffee.
Note: If you want a bigger poli use 50gm filling and 50gm doh.