About Me

My photo
I was born and brought up in Kota Bahru,Kel,Malaysia From a very young age I was very interested in cooking. My sisters were all married by the time I was ten it fell on me to help my mother to do the household chores. Slowly I started cooking. After doing our household chores I go and help our neighbour Mok Wan who happened to be a kuih seller, helping her with the task of grinding rice, beating eggs, peeling onions and packing the kuihs usually fell on me for just 20 cents. Mok Wan was very good in making all those traditional Kelantanese kuih whicn are known for their variety and distinct taste. It was she who give me the best lessons in Malay culinary arts. It have been years since she passed away but her art of making kuih is still with me. It was my mother who gave me the lessons in Indian culinary arts, I helped her cook, learning all the time without realising it. Every time when I cook for my friends, the first thing they ask me is "Did you learn cooking?" Far from protesting vehemently that I was self-taught, I must admit I that I gained my knowledge of cooking partly from my family, partly from helping people who are masters of their arts and partly from cookery books.

About the cuisine

Our food is a delicious blend of flavours coming from the Malays,Chinese,India and indigenous communities living in Malaysia

Saturday, April 28, 2012

COCONUT CHUTNEY

COCONUT CHUTNEY


(A)
200gm grated white coconut
2 gheen cilli,chopped,add more if you like it hot.
5 shallots,chopped
4 cloves garlic
2cm ginger,chopped
2 stalk kari leafs
1 tbsp tamarind juice or to your taste
1/2 cup warm water
Salt to taste

For tempering

2-3 tbsp oil
(B)
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp ulutham parupu
2-3 dried cilli ,cut into 2
1 stalk kari leafs
A pinch of asafoetida powder


1. Blend  A with 1/2 cup warm water until very fine.
2. Heat oil and add in B and fry until muatard seeds pops. Pour in the blend coconut  and stir well. Serve with idili or thosai.

Note: You can add 1/2 cup mints leafs or 1/2 cup coriander leafs if you like.

RED COCONUY CHUTNEY

(A)
200gm freshly grated white coconut.
2 red chili,seeded and chopped or 5 dried chilli,remove seed and soaked. you can add more chilis if you like it hot.
5 shallots,chopped
4 clove garlick,chopped
1cm ginger,chopped
3 tbsp pothu kadalai (you can buy it from the indian grocery shops)
1 big tomato,chopped
1 stalk kari leafs
1/2 cup water more or less
3-4 tbsp oil

1. Heat oil and add A stir fry till fragrant. Remove and cool.
2. Add water and blend until fine.


For tempering

1-2 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp urad dhal
2-3 dry chili,torn with seeds remove
1 tsalk kari leafs

1. Blend A until fine. Heat oil and add Tempering ingredients fry until mustard seeds pops. Pour into the blend coconut and stir well. Serve with idli or thosai

,






No comments:

Post a Comment