VEGETARIAN PRAWN FRITTERS
200 gm plain flour*
½ tsp double action baking powder*
¼ tsp turmeric powder*
1 level tsp salt*
1 tsp sugar,if you like*
1 cup water,more or less
100 gm chinese chives,cut into 4-cm lengths
100 gm bean sprouts
Oil for frying
1. Sift * and add in sugar into a mixing bowl and add the water little by little to made a fairly thick batter,stir in the chives and bean spouts
2. Look for a suitable ladle that is not too large or too deep. Ensure that it has a heatproof handle.
3. Heat oil in a small saucepan up to a depth of 4 cm over medium heat,place ladle in the oil to heat it. After 4 to 5 mins. Lift the now hot ladle from the oil,allowing excess oil to drip off.
4. Spoon in enough batter to fill the ladle almost to the top. Press a vegetarian prawn into the top of the batter and gently lower the ladle into the oil. After 2-3 minutes,when the base of the fritter has formed a crust,gently prise it out of the ladle with the tip of a small knife and allow it to continue frying in the oil until golden brown all over.Repeat till all the batter is finish.
5. Drain fritters on absorbent kitchen paper. Cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving with the sauce.
1 cup water
4 tsp chilli powder or 5-6 dry chilie,soaked and grind
4 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp corn flour
Salt to taste
Mix all together and bring to a boil. Cool and serve with the fritters.